GBOD Communications Office
Steve Horswill-Johnston, Executive Director
(615) 340-1726 (O) (615) 429-3431 (C)
Nov. 12, 2013
From Young People’s Ministries:
Our hearts go out to our sisters and brothers in the Philippines who are experiencing hardship, grief and difficulty in the wake of Super Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda. Loss of life and property has been great. Shortages of food, drinking water, and shelter, lack of communications, electricity, and reliable transportation in the region hit hardest by the storm all conspire to create hardship that threatens the safety and wellbeing of thousands. Our prayers join with those of millions across the world seeking to ease the suffering and support the Filipino people in their time of need.
This disaster has happened as delegates for the Global Young People’s Convocation and Legislative Assembly are being notified to register for the Convocation to be held in Tagaytay, Philippines. It makes sense people might be nervous about participation in what might seem like a storm-prone area. Hopefully this information is helpful:
1) Tagaytay is over 500 miles north of Tacloban on the main Philippine island of Luzon. There is no direct damage from Super Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda in the area where GYPCLA will be held.
2) Tagaytay is not on the coast and is 1800-2200 feet above sea level.
3) The Center for Community Transformation Retreat and Training Center in Tagaytay where GYPCLA will be held is made up of a number of concrete block structures built within the past ten years.
4) As with all Young People’s Ministries events, an emergency response plan will be in place to provide the best possible safety for all participants if needed.
We encourage you to pray for those affected by the storm and its aftermath, to consider donating through http://www.umcor.org
For further information or questions, please contact Blake Thornell (email@example.com) in the GYPCLA office or your regional Young People’s Ministries staff person:
Northeast Jurisdiction John Hodges-Batzka firstname.lastname@example.org
Southeast Jurisdiction Rori Blakeney email@example.com
North Central Jurisdiction Carl Gladstone firstname.lastname@example.org
South Central Jurisdiction Abby Parker email@example.com
Western Jurisdiction Kelly Peterson firstname.lastname@example.org
Africa Armindo Mapoissa email@example.com
Philippines Mighty Rasing firstname.lastname@example.org
# # #