8th NATIONAL BIBLE QUIZ MECHANICS
January 26, 2013
THEME: “Proclaim the Word, Profess the Faith”
BOOK OF THE BIBLE TO BE STUDIED: John; 2 Timothy; Psalm 119.
SIXTY (60) MEMORY VERSES
I. FROM THE GOSPEL OF JOHN
1. John 1:1 – “In the beginning the Word already existed; the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”
2. John 1:14 – “The Word became a human being and, full of grace and truth, lived among us. We saw his glory, the glory which he received as the Father’s only Son.”
3. John 1:17 – “God gave the Law through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.”
4. John 1:18 – “No one has ever seen God. The only Son, who is the same as God and is at the Father’s side, he has made him known.”
5. John 1:29b – “There is the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!”
6. John 3:16 – “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not die but have eternal life.”
7. John 3:36 – “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever disobeys the Son will not have life, but will remain under God’s punishment.”
8. John 4:14 – “But those who drink the water that I will give them will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give them will become in them a spring which will provide them with life-giving water and give them eternal life.”
9. John 4:23 – “But the time is coming and is already here, when by the power of God’s Spirit people will worship the Father as he really is, offering him the true worship that he wants.”
10. John 4:24 – “God is Spirit, and only by the power of his Spirit can people worship him as he really is.”
11. John 6:35 – “I am the bread of life,” Jesus told them. “Those who come to me will never be hungry; those who believe in me will never be thirsty.”
12. John 6:68 – “Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life.”
13. John 8:12 – “I am the light of the world,” he said. “Whoever follows me will have the light of life and will never walk in darkness.”
14. John 8:58b – “Before Abraham was born, ‘I Am’.”
15. John 10:10 – “The thief comes only in order to steal, kill, and destroy. I have come in order that you might have life—life in all its fullness.”
16. John 10:14-15 – “I am the good shepherd. As the Father knows me and I know the Father, in the same way I know my sheep and they know me. And I am willing to die for them.”
17. John 11:25-26 – “I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me will live, even though they die; and those who live and believe in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
18. John 12:25 – “Those who love their own life will lose it; those who hate their own life in this world will keep it for life eternal.”
19. John 13:34 – “And now I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.”
20. John 13:35 – “If you have love for one another, then everyone will know that you are my disciples.”
21. John 14:6 – “I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one goes to the Father except by me.”
22. John 14:23 – “Those who love me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and my Father and I will come to them and live with them.”
23. John 14:27 – “Peace is what I leave with you; it is my own peace that I give you. I do not give it as the world does. Do not be worried and upset; do not be afraid.”
24. John 15:5 – “I am the vine, and you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will bear much fruit; for you can do nothing without me.”
25. John 15:9 – “I love you just as the Father loves me; remain in my love.”
26. John 15:10 – “If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love.”
27. John 15:13 – “The greatest love you can have for your friends is to give your life for them.”
28. John 15:16 – “You did not choose me; I chose you and appointed you to go and bear much fruit, the kind of fruit that endures. And so the Father will give you whatever you ask of him in my name.”
29. John 17:3 – “And eternal life means to know you, the only true God, and to know Jesus Christ, whom you sent.”
30. John 20:31 – “But these have been written in order that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through your faith in him you may have life.”
II. FROM THE SECOND LETTER OF PAUL TO TIMOTHY
1. 2 Timothy 1:7 – “For the Spirit that God has given us does not make us timid; instead, his Spirit fills us with power, love, and self-control.”
2. 2 Timothy 1:9 – “He saved us and called us to be his own people, not because of what we have done, but because of his own purpose and grace. He gave us this grace by means of Christ Jesus before the beginning of time.”
3. 2 Timothy 2:1 – “As for you, my son, be strong through the grace that is ours in union with Christ Jesus.”
4. 2 Timothy 2:3 – “Take your part in suffering, as a loyal soldier of Christ Jesus.”
5. 2 Timothy 2:15 – “Do your best to win full approval in God’s sight, as a worker who is not ashamed of his work, one who correctly teaches the message of God’s truth.”
6. 2 Timothy 2:19 – “But the solid foundation that God has laid cannot be shaken; and on it are written these words: “The Lord knows those who are his” and “Those who say that they belong to the Lord must turn away from wrongdoing.”
7. 2 Timothy 2:22 – “Avoid the passions of youth, and strive for righteousness, faith, love, and peace, together with those who with a pure heart call out to the Lord for help.”
8. 2 Timothy 2:24 – “As the Lord’s servant, you must not quarrel. You must be kind toward all, a good and patient teacher.”
9. 2 Timothy 3:12 – “Everyone who wants to live a godly life in union with Christ Jesus will be persecuted.”
10. 2 Timothy 3:15 – “And you remember that ever since you were a child, you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.”
11. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 – “All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching the truth, rebuking error, correcting faults, and giving instruction for right living, so that the person who serves God may be fully qualified and equipped to do every kind of good deed.”
12. 2 Timothy 4:1-2 – “In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and because he is coming to rule as King, I solemnly urge you to preach the message, to insist upon proclaiming it (whether the time is right or not), to convince, reproach, and encourage, as you teach with all patience.”
13. 2 Timothy 4:5 – “But you must keep control of yourself in all circumstances; endure suffering, do the work of a preacher of the Good News, and perform your whole duty as a servant of God.”
14. 2 Timothy 4:7 – “I have done my best in the race, I have run the full distance, and I have kept the faith.”
15. 2 Timothy 4:18 – “And the Lord will rescue me from all evil and take me safely into his heavenly Kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever! Amen.”
III. FROM PSALM 119
1. Psalm 119:1 – “Happy are those whose lives are faultless, who live according to the law of the LORD.”
2. Psalm 119:5 – “How I hope that I shall be faithful in keeping your instructions!
3. Psalm 119: 9 – “How can young people keep their lives pure? By obeying your commands.”
4. Psalm 119:11 – “I keep your law in my heart, so that I will not sin against you.
5. Psalm 119:14 – “I delight in following your commands more than in having great wealth.”
6. Psalm 119:27 – “Help me to understand your laws, and I will meditate on your wonderful teachings.”
7. Psalm 119:33 – “Teach me, LORD, the meaning of your laws, and I will obey them at all times.”
8. Psalm 119:43 – “Enable me to speak the truth at all times, because my hope is in your judgments.”
9. Psalm 119:89 – “Your word, O LORD, will last forever; it is eternal in heaven.”
10. Psalm 119:105 – “Your word is a lamp to guide me and a light for my path.”
11. Psalm 119:127 – “I love your commands more than gold, more than the finest gold.”
12. Psalm 119:140 – “How certain your promise is! How I love it!”
13. Psalm 119:145 – “With all my heart I call to you; answer me, LORD, and I will obey your commands!”
14. Psalm 119:160 – “The heart of your law is truth, and all your righteous judgments are eternal.”
15. Psalm 119:165 – “Those who love your law have perfect security, and there is nothing that can make them fall.”
Official Bible Version
Good News Bible (Today’s English Version (TEV), Second Edition, 1992) will be used as the official reference.
Method of Study
1. The Gospel of John, Paul’s Second Letter to Timothy and Psalm 119 are intended to be carefully studied, and their content mastered by the contestants.
2. The verses, on the other hand, are intended to be memorized and to be quoted upon demand.
Objectives of the BIBLE QUIZ
1. To inculcate in the youth of the United Methodist Church in the Philippines a love and zeal for God and his Word.
2. To promote and encourage the young people in memorizing Bible verses and get them involved in regular Bible study that they may apply the truths of God’s Word and learn how to live for God everyday.
3. To bring together the young people from different annual conferences to fellowship with one another and engage in the Word of God through the National Bible Quiz.
4. To proclaim God’s grace and salvation through Bible quiz questions so that parents and friends may be challenged to accept Christ as their personal Lord and Savior and be encouraged in their service for him.
5. To give an opportunity for parents and other adults to build and deepen their relationships with the youth and to be able to further disciple and mentor the youth.
6. To present an exciting and positive competitive environment in which the young people can display their Bible knowledge.
7. To stimulate the interest of Christian educators and church workers in the value of studying the Bible regularly with the youth and help in the Christian value formation of the youth that they become better and worthy citizens in this country.
Eligibility of Participants
1. Must be a bona fide UMC youth between the ages 12-17 in or out of school (JUNIOR Group: 12-14 years old, SENIOR Group: 15-17 years old).
2. FOR THE GRAND (NATIONAL) FINALS: Must submit written approval of parents and written endorsements from the local church/pastor. Certified true copy of birth or baptismal certificate must be attached to the application form. Application forms will be sent to the Annual Conference Level representatives.
3. Children of members of the National Bible Quiz Executive Committee, Quiz Administration Committee, Board and Staff of BCEC and their relatives up to the second degree of consanguinity or affinity are disqualified to join the contest.
September – Local Church Eliminations
October – District Eliminations
November/December – Annual Conference Eliminations
ONLY questions for the Annual Conference Eliminations shall be provided by the Philippine Bible Society through the BCEC. This means that you take care of your quiz questions for the local and district levels. Questions for the Annual Conference Eliminations will be e-mailed to the Bible quiz coordinator of the Annual Conference.
DEADLINE OF SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION FORMS of Annual Conference representatives will be on or before January 8, 2013.
January 26 – Grand Finals
Venue: To be arranged
Time: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 nn.
Note: In case of natural calamities such as typhoons, disturbances, and other valid reasons that will compromise the safety of the contestants/ participants, the Bible Quiz Committee of the level concerned reserves the right to postpone the contest, except in the Grand Finals where the EXECOM shall decide.
Local, District, Annual Conference
Male – pants and white polo shirt/polo barong
Female – skirt and white blouse
National Grand Finals
Male – barong (long sleeves), black pants and black shoes
Female – long skirt with kimona top and white shoes
1. All contestants are required to time-in thirty (30) minutes before the start of the contest by affixing their signature to the official timekeeper’s record.
2. A grace period of ten (10) minutes will be given after which late comers shall be disqualified.
Rules of Conduct
1. Misconduct or unruly behavior of any contestant or adviser, which results in disrupting the proceedings, will result in a warning. If behavior is persistent the person concerned shall be disqualified.
2. If the grand finals winner is found to have falsified his/her credentials, all prizes and other benefits due him/her shall be nullified, and the second place winner shall be declared grand finals winner.
1. All questions or clarifications during the proceedings will be addressed by the Quiz Master to the Board of Judges.
2. The Board of Judges is responsible to answer all protests.
3. The decision of the Board of Judges shall be final.
4 In case of controversy involving the results of the Grand Finals, this will be reviewed by the NBQ Executive Committee.
GRAND FINALS QUIZ:
Part 1 – Elimination Round – 15 Questions each for the JUNIOR and SENIOR levels.
Part 2 – Verse Exposition – Top 8 contestants from each level
– One minute exposition in Filipino or English
– Criteria: Message imparted; Coherence & clarity; Stage presence
Part 3 – Memory Verse Recitation – Top 5 contestants from each level
Details of quiz rules and scoring will be sent later.
Only the TOP THREE will be given prizes.
Travel expenses of finalists will be reimbursed. Travel tickets are required for this purpose. Fare of coaches/chaperones will not be reimbursed.
Lodging will be provided for the finalists and their coaches/chaperones. Only one coach/chaperone for each finalist is allowed.
Inquiries may be addressed to:
#s 0919-442-3057; 0922-854-4460
e-mail addresses: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org