“We are Called to Action”
“FOR THE SAKE OF A NEW WORLD, we see a new church.
WE SEE A NEW CHURCH. It is a church that is clear about its future, a church that is always reaching out, inviting, alive, agile, and resilient. We see a church that is hope-filled, passionate, nimble, called by God, and courageous. It is a church that is passionately committed to the mission and vision of the Wesleyan movement. This church takes ricks to serve the poor, reach new people, and search continuously for creative ways to help each person grow in grace, love and holiness.
TODAY WE CALL YOU TO ACTION, to join with United Methodist sisters and brothers from around the world in the adventure of becoming a New Church. The most important steps will not result from legislative action at General Conference or in annual conferences. Instead, they will require different actions and patterns of leadership by bishops, clergy, and laity. These changes must be grounded deeply in the spiritual discipline of prayer and fasting. These changes have already begun, and the Call to Action is already starting to be employed un many congregations and conferences.
WE CALL YOU TO:
• GROW VITAL CONGREGATIONS that will make disciple of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world;
• DEMONSTRATE COURAGEOUS TURNAROUND LEADERSHIP that leads the church towards deep Holy Spirit change;
• TAKE RISKS; experiment in ministry as we go to the margins of society to minister with the poor, immigrants, prisoners, and the homeless, as well as with the non-religious and nominally religious people in our communities;
• UNITE AS ONE; develop deeper trust so that together we face our adaptive spiritual challenges;
• SET VISIONARY GOALS and support one another as we eagerly experiment, innovate, embrace, and regularly account for our ministries.
-The Council of Bishops, The United Methodist Church